Mold is one of the last issues that you want to deal with as a homeowner. It can be exceptionally difficult to completely eradicate from your property if not dealt with immediately, which is why you need to be hyper-vigilant when it comes to spotting mold. A lot of homeowners find out they have mold far too late in the process, and by then, it will have taken root in much of your house. Here are a few of the major signs and issues that you need to be wary of to ensure you are not ambushed by a ton of mold in the near future.
Unwaterproofed Crawl Space
If you have a crawlspace under your home where your foundations are and it is not waterproofed, then you are asking for trouble. This area is where a lot of moisture from your home will gather, in addition to being a space where all other kinds of water can pool, such as after a heavy rainstorm. It is exceptionally hard for this water to dissipate fast enough, which means that mold growth is inevitable over a long period of time (or sometimes much shorter timeframes). If you haven't waterproofed your crawl space, you will need to be constantly checking it for mold.
You often smell the horrible rotting and decaying stench of mold before you see it, but this can sometimes be mistaken for something else. Perhaps you just assume your bathroom has always had that kind of smell or it is something in the drainage. Whenever you get a whiff of something that will not go away over many days, you should call for mold removal to see if they can find the source. At the very least you will know one way or another if you have mold, and knowledge is power in the fight against this frustrating problem.
Sometimes the effects of mold are felt before they can be seen. Mold, after all, can be quite dangerous to humans and can mimic symptoms of the common cold like sneezing, runny noses, and coughs. If you have no idea why you seem to always be sick, it could be that the pores of the mold are making their way into your body and causing it to fight back. Mold removal can therefore not only keep your home safe and sound from structural damage but also prevent you from getting even sicker as time goes on.
Contact a local mold removal service to learn more.